Monday, July 26, 2010

Millions of peaches, peaches for me...

It's summer time in Georgia, which means that I have two big mixing bowls sitting in my kitchen, both filled to the brim with beautiful hierloom tomatoes and farm fresh peaches.  My husband and I apparently buy so many peaches each week, that even the farmer has commented on it. "Boy, you two really eat your fruit." he said, handing over a paper sack with eight peaches nestled inside. How could we not? The farm fresh Georgia peaches are so crisp and sweet this time of year. I've made cobblers, smoothies, salsas and salads with them. They are delicious sliced into a bowl of homemade oatmeal, or just gobbled fresh in your hand.  By the time we have a chance to get sick of them,  the season passes and we move onto something else.

The best use for peaches that I have, is this deliciously simple salad from Cheap Healthy Good. Part of why I love it, is that it's two additions and an ingredient swap from peach salsa and who doesn't love peach salsa? Communists, that's who. I don't bother with peeling my peaches or tomatoes. It's an extra step that seems unneccesarily fussy to me. Also, I use lime juice instead of the lemon that CHG uses.  That's the magic of this salad, it's so simple, even a tiny change can make it your own.

Just chop peaches, and tomatoes together. Add chopped basil, salt, pepper a squirt of lime juice and a glug of olive oil. Combine together and serve immediately. And if you want salsa? Chop everything a bit finer, suv cilantro for the basil, and add onion and jalapeno. Either way, it's a great way to enjoy summer's fruit.

No comments: