Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I'll never hear the end of this now...

I made yogurt.

From blog


It's a PERFECTLY reasonable thing to do. I swear.

See, I had almost an entire gallon of milk that, for some reason, we hadn't finished before the sell by date. And even though I know that it's still good for a few days after that, it doesn't taste as fresh to me and I don't like to drink it straight. I'll use it to cook with though. But I had almost a full gallon this time. There was no way I could cook with all of it before it really went bad, so I decided that it was time I made yogurt.

I've been dithering over making yogurt for months now. My co workers make fun of me for talking about it all the time, but not doing it. So I decided to suck it up and go for broke. The milk was already wasted, why not experiment? So I made yogurt.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the process, since I didn't think it would really work. I'll take pictures next time, I promise.

The recipe I used comes from "A Year of Crockpotting", which is a really simple and easy recipe. Others I've read call for turning on the oven, or putting heating pads in a cooler or other silly things. I just heated the milk in the crockpot, added some store bought Stoneyfield Farms plain whole milk yogurt as a starter and let it do its thing.

Mine made a CRAZY amount of whey and it was very grainy. So I strained it using coffee filters and ended up with something similar in consistency to ricotta cheese, but very tangy. I like it. It's different, but I like it. I ended up with about three cups of whey, which I added to bread dough in place of water.

Sooo...I guess I'm a hippy now.

1 comment:

Jafael said...

I really like making my own yogurt. I did mine in glass jars in the oven, though. Very creamy, not much whey.