Monday, May 4, 2009

And I'm back

Apologies for the long delay between posts. I didn't mean to go on hiatus that long. As some of you know, I'm really, really into the late Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. Probably more than is healthy for me. Anyways, as I'm wont to do with anything I enjoy, I went completely overboard and founded a genre literature convention for Robert Jordan fans. We had about 250 people here in Alpharetta for the event, including the new author of series, the publisher, and Jordan's wife/ editor. It was a pretty fun weekend all in all.

Anyways, you aren't here to watch me nerd out everywhere. You're here for the food. I got too busy to really cook much for awhile, and I managed to put on 15 pounds (Just in time for bathing suit season!), so I need to ease myself back into my usual diet and cooking habits.

To that end, I made cake today.

Yes, I know that seems counter intuitive. Most people do not consider cake to be an essential part of a healthy diet. But we're both dedicated snackers here, and I'd rather us eating a little sliver of something I made from scratch, from good ingredients, than something full of nasty preservatives and chemicals. So today I made Orangette's "Every Day Cake", which turned out beautifully.

I had to adapt it slightly, owing to not having any white whole wheat flour on hand, or nutmeg. So I doubled the amount of all purpose and I used a sprinkling of cinnamon instead. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Perfect for afternoon snacks, as advertised. But I think it would also be an excellent addition to Sunday brunch, topped with whipped cream and fresh berries. The yogurt makes it tangy and rich, and the edges are crispy and brown.

This is a good start.

No comments: