Sunday, February 22, 2009

Slice

A group of us went out to Slice on Friday, where I got more practice with my camera.

From blog


Seared tuna appetizer that the table shared. This was my favorite of the three we passed around. The tuna was rich and buttery and perfectly seared. I really love how it's plated too, with drizzles of ponzu dipping sauce and siracha hot sauce.

We also ordered fritters stuffed lump crab meat and risotto rice, which were very good. I loved the contrast between the crunch of the outside and the soft interior. There was a red pepper hummus as well, which I didn't like that much. It was oddly flavorless to me. I suspect I'm spoiled by the intensly garlicky hummus I get at Veranda.

From blog


A salad of greens, with Asian pears, walnuts and goat cheese. This belonged to someone else, so no first hand experience with it. However, the owner of that plate said it was delicious.

From blog


My husband ordered this one. Spinach salad with chopped hard boiled egg, panchetta, tomatoes, red onions and balsamic vinaigrette. This is a classic and almost impossible to screw up. I love the "bacon wheel" of the panchetta. Since his food is my food, I got a bite of this and immediately wished I'd ordered one too.


From blog


Gah. I hate how blurry this is. Anyways, it's the meatloaf. It's HUGE. The beef is locally raised, grass fed and so full of flavor. There's red bell pepper in this too, which I don't do in my meatloaf, but was pretty tasty.

From blog


Didn't order this one, so no report on taste. It's scallops and risotto. My eating buddy Jeff said it was delicious though. I think I'll order this next time.

From blog


This is what I ordered. Have I mentioned I'm on a diet? I didn't feel left out though, as I love French onion soup. It was very rich and smooth, one of the best I've had. And I got to order dessert guilt free. (Please, no one post in the comments about French onion soup is 98% lard or anything like that. I like my illusions.)

Speaking of dessert...

From blog


Chocolate Crunch Cake. Yum.

From blog


White Chocolate Raspberry Cake. Drool.

From blog


Coca Cola Cake. All the desserts come from Lulu's Bakery in Alpharetta, and I always consider this their signiture dessert. It seems like every place around here that carries Lulu's desserts has this one. And oddly enough, I've never tried it. I'll need to address that at some point.

From blog


Snickers Cheesecake. Yes, those are real chunks of Snicker bar on top.

From blog


And this is mine, Andes mint cheesecake. Well worth skipping the meatloaf and prime rib everyone else was swilling.

Slice also has a great wine and beer list. I had a fantastic red with my meal that I'd recomend if I could recall it's name. It was a varietal I hadn't had before, which is why I chose it. The atmosphere is great as well. The downstairs is like swanky club, with blue lights and a large bar dominating. Upstairs is a quiet dining room, full of warm colors and subdued lighting. It's quite cozy. When the weather gets nice again, I like to eat out in the gazebo next to the koi pond.

I highly recomend this place for an evening out for good food and good drinks.


Slice Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Emily Gs said...

There is a new produce market in Alpharetta you might be interested in checking out: Birmingham Produce and Market at the corner of Birmingham HIghway and Hickory Flats.