Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Easy Braised Eggplant in Garlic Sauce

I realize that I haven't posted much Asian food lately. Which makes me sad, because my Asian recipes are some of our favorites.  Here's one that uses the late season japanese eggplants that are still popping up in our CSA box every week. It's a little sweet and as spicy as you want it to be. It's pretty easy, because it doesn't require any special stir frying skills or equipment like a wok. All you need is an oven, a casserole dish and a knife to chop with. It's a great side dish for grilled meats or part of a larger Asian inspired meal. I actually served it along side some tofu and veggie soup earlier this week as part of a vegetarian meal. Here's how to do it.

eggplant
Easy Braised Eggplant in Garlic Sauce


2 japanese eggplants, cut into one inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced fine
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
Chili-garlic hot sauce to your liking (We prefer Sriracha)

Combine ingredients in casserole dish. Add about a tablespoon of water, then cover with lid. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for twenty minutes, or until eggplant is tender.

Like my poorly lit iPhone pictures? I'm on Flickr now! And you can like me on Facebook!

No comments: