Monday, September 23, 2013

You can't call it a "Cronut", because that's copyrighted

Have you heard about the "Cronut"? I thought I was the only person in Roswell who'd heard of these silly things before I wandered into Roswell Provisions on Friday night. But then, there on the countertop, was a Cronut. Oh, sorry. "Croignet." Still confused? Let me back up.
Untitled
The Cronut with-a-capital-C is the invention of Dominique Ansel in New York City. It's basically croissant dough, fried like a doughnut or beignet and then glazed. It's a bit more complicated than just frying a sheet of croissant dough, which is why Ansel has been able to trademark the name, but that's the gist of it. Apparently, the original version is good enough that folks line up around the block for one.  It's also popular enough to have it's own Wikipedia article. The "croignet" is the knock off version that those of us who don't live in New York get to satisfy ourselves with.

So anyways, I was at Provisions looking for something sweet to snack on. I was eyeing the fried apple pies, because fall has arrived and I'm pretty sure this is my favorite season and a fried pie seemed the way to celebrate, when I saw the last croignet of the day sitting pretty on the countertop. Obviously, if I didn't purchase it my entire hipster foodie blogger credentials would be called into question. I make sacrifices for you all.

And then I ate it. I'm not going to get too into whether or not it was good. It was the last one after having been out in the pastry case all day, so it was a little stale. But it was still nicely sweet and flakey, with just a little chewy denseness from sitting out too long. I'd eat it again. In fact, looking at that picture, I kinda want one right now.

So I guess if you are looking for something a little different and kinda trendy, head to Provisions and eat a croignet. It's pretty tasty.

Like my poorly lit iPhone pictures? I'm on Flickr now! And you can like me on Facebook!

No comments: