Sunday, July 11, 2010

Make mine with yogurt

I eat lots of yogurt. That's no surprise to long time readers of this blog, who will recall that I occasionally make my own. I usually buy a big tub of plain, organic, cream top yogurt at the beginning of the week and work my way through it. I like the organic, because it has JUST yogurt in it. No fillers or stabilizers.

I usually use it in fruit smoothies, but I'll also use it as a topping for oatmeal, or fresh fruit. Occasionally it get used in a marinade or as the base for a dipping sauce. I also bake with it. Yogurt is surprisingly good in baked goods, especially as a substitute for buttermilk. It'll add that tang with the added benefit that yogurt is easier to keep around than buttermilk. Just remember, it's slightly acidic, so make sure your recipe includes baking soda and baking powder as leaveners. Otherwise, it won't rise and you'll be left with a dense, nasty tasting mess.

This morning I made blueberry waffles for breakfast. I have a lovely repurposed glass jar in my fridge, full of local blueberries I bought at the Green Street market. No, they didn't come in a glass jar. I keep all my berries in glass. For some reason I can't fathom, berries last longer in glass than they do those tiny plastic baskets. I keep old applesauce jars in my cupboard for things like this.

I adapted my recipe from Eat Happy, a blog I found while Googling around for recipes this morning. I liked it because of it's simplicity. I added a big shake of cinnamon to the dry ingredients as I was sifting them together, and of course, a generous double handful of blueberries. I also used plain yogurt, instead of vanilla.

1 c. water
1 c. yogurt
1/2 c. fresh blueberries
2 eggs
2 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

In a medium/large bowl, combine the water, yogurt, and eggs. In a smaller bowl, mix together the remaining (dry) ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet, and stir to combine. Bake in a waffle iron (according to the directions that came with the appliance).

1 comment:

Retro Chic Cooking said...

Hi there,

I write the food blog, Bunkycooks and live in Atlanta. I wanted you to know about the Food Blog Forum Event that is taking place September 10th and 11th in Atlanta.

Please take a look at the link to the article on my blog as well as the event site link for specific details.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I look forward to seeing you there!


Cheers!


Gwen Pratesi


http://www.bunkycooks.com/2010/07/food-blog-forum-is-coming-to-atlanta-yall-come/

http://foodblogforum-atlanta.eventbrite.com/