Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pasta With Bacon Sauce

So I don't get this whole bacon obsession that gripes the internet. I mean, yes, bacon tastes good. It's sweet and salty and meaty all at once. If cooked properly, it has a nice crispness to it. But why is it the subject of obsession? I like it and all, but I've never had the urge to tape any to the cat.

My husband though is a bacon festishist. Apparently it wasn't a thing in his house. He told me the other day that he's eaten more bacon in 12 years of knowing me than he did in 24 years of living with his parents. So his is the zeal of the recent convert.

Bacon is one of those things I always have to hand. It's great for cooking along with greens, topping a salad, and yes, eating for breakfast. Recently, we're eating the locally produced bacon from BPH Farms which we obtain at the Riverside Farmers Market here in Roswell. It's a nice, thick cut bacon and far better tasting than what we usually buy at the grocery store.

This traditional Italian recipe (properly known as Pasta Amatriciana) is usually made with pancetta. However, I've discovered that it works just as well with good quality bacon.

Two strips bacon, cooked and reserved
Can of tomatoes
1 cup onion, chopped
Parsley
Parmesan cheese, grated

Cook bacon. Remove from pan and reserve. In the bacon grease, soften onions until just turning clear. Add canned tomatoes, stir. Let it simmer together briefly, then add cooked pasta (I like a whole wheat penne for this). Allow pasta and sauce to cook together for a moment, then add parsely and cheese. Add crumbled bacon back to the pan. Toss together and serve.

No comments: