Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Perfect Collard Greens

I'm going to take a stand here, and say that my last post on chili was my most commented on yet. But most of the comments were on Facebook, instead of here. Way to rob me of precious traffic Facebook friends!

So perhaps I can get a little of that back by courting another controversy with my perfect collard green recipe. (Notice, I say "my" perfect greens. This is what I think is perfect. You may think differently. )

To me, collards need to have a silky texture, a salty, smokey tang, and only a hint of bitterness from the greens. There should also be a copious amount of "pot likker" that runs around your plate and soaks into everything. I've played around with ham hocks, bacon, water, broth, white wine, etc. in varying amounts and this is what I've come up with.

1 bag o pre chopped and washed collards
1 can diced tomatoes
2 slices bacon
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can chicken broth

Fry bacon in pan to render out fat. Mmm...bacon fat. Remove bacon and reserve. Add onion and collards. Smoosh it down. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Lid it up, and simmer on low heat until tender. Chopped up reserved bacon and add back. Serve.

This gives you a nice mix of textures and flavors in your greens. I especially like the crunch of the crispy bacon against the tender greens. It's also very pretty, with the tomato flecks against the dark green collards. Try it sometime.

No comments: