Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Day Brunch

So for those you planning to go out for brunch tomorow (I'm not one of you. I just finished assembling a lovely ham, spinach, cheese strata. It looks cold and dreary and I'm not planning to leave the house until spring.), here's a quick guide to area brunch offerings.

First up! Da' Cajun Kitchen!

I like this place, I honestly do. But it's not my favorite breakfast option, no matter how personable and friendly I find the owners. They do an awesome lunch though. But if you want fast and cheap, go for it. They serve authentic New Orleans style breakfast, complete with beignet and cafe au lait. The beignet are beautiful. Soft, pillowy hunks of fried dough mounded high with powdered sugar. Yum. Better than donuts for breakfast in my book.

New Orleans - Da Cajun Kitchen on Urbanspoon

Next... Artisan Foods!

I've only eaten here once, and that was a quick stop in for a breakfast sandwich on my way elsewhere. But it has rave reviews from others, so I'm comfortable including it. My breakfast sandwich was scrambled eggs, bacon and cheddar cheese on a house made croissant. The eggs were soft, but not mushy. The bacon was thick and crisp, and my cheese was so hot it burned my hand. They must've brought it to me right off the stove. Amazingly delicious.

Artisan Foods on Urbanspoon


The Red Hen!

This is a really solid place for breakfast. The service is excellent and the food is great. My favorite is the huevos rancheros, which are crispy tortillas topped with chorizo and eggs. It's a great mix of textures and flavors.

Red Hen on Urbanspoon

And finally, because I don't plan to be here all night, J. Christophers.

This is a local chain, with locations in both Roswell and Alpharetta. The Roswell is my favorite location, because it's in a historic building that predates the Civil War and is supposedly haunted. Breakfasts here are okay, but nothing special. I tend to end up here if i can't get to one of my other favorites. But the food is delicious. Nothing is standing out to me, but I haven't eaten there in almost a year. But they tend to be fast and they handle groups well.

J Christopher's on Urbanspoon

No comments: