Sunday, December 14, 2008

Potato Soup

Winter means soup in my house. There is nothing better on a cold, rainy December night, than a bowl of hot soup. I usually pair it with good bread, or biscuits fresh from the oven. That's all I really need for a complete meal.

I haven't done my weekly shopping trip yet and nothing was thawed, so I was short on dinner ideas tonight. Then it struck me, something I haven't made in years, something I had right in my pantry. Potato soup. My mom used to make this when I was a kid. I love potatoes in all their forms, so it was always a hit with me. I made an updated version of it tonight.

4 cups chopped white potatoes. Or any kind of waxy potato will do. Don't use russets, They'll just turn to mush on you. I left the (well scrubbed) peels on, but you can peel yours if you want to.
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups milk (I use whole)
1/2 stick butter
2 sprigs rosemary
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbls sherry
salt, to taste


Melt butter in the bottom of suitably sized pot. Add onions and garlic, let 'em sweat a bit. Add chopped potatoes and let them absorb some of the onion garlic butter flavor. Then add chicken broth, simmer the potatoes in it until almost fork tender. About ten minutes. Add milk, rosemary and salt. Bring it back up to a simmer and let the potatoes finish cooking. Pull out the rosemary and discard. Stir in the sherry. Serve. The sherry is optional. It's pretty good without it. However, it's amazing with it.

No comments: