Monday, October 27, 2008

Apple Crisp

I have a gaming group that meets on Saturdays. Usually it's straight up Dungeons and Dragons, but lately its been Werewolf. Though someone bought a 4th ed handbook, so as of this weekend we're back to DnD. Anyways, the hosts usually do the cooking or we order take out for dinner. I've started making a habit to bring a dessert or side dish along. The big hits this year have been peach salsa and peach cobbler. Since I am currently swimming in apples from the Apple Festival, I thought I'd do a little apple crisp.

From blog


We start with apples. These are Black Arkansas varieties. They are very firm and sweet, perfect for baking.

From blog


I bought a new Oxo grip peeler for this. I've been using the same peeler since before we were married, it was quite dull. I usually hate peeling things, but I actually liked it with this one. Except for the part where I nicked my finger because I didn't get resistance when I expected it.

From blog


Apples, sliced and mixed with orange juice. Yes, I know it's supposed to be lemon juice. I'm out. Deal with it.

From blog


The finished Apple Crisp, fresh from the oven. Not as pretty as I would like, but I can work on that.

Ingredients

2 cups-ish of sliced apples
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon

Directions

Peel and slice apples and toss with lemon (or orange) juice. In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and cut in the butter. You can use a fancy pastry cutter for this, or you can just squish it up with your hands like I do. Mix about a quarter of the topping with the apples, then spread in a baking dish. Spread the rest around on top and bake for 50 minutes at 375 degrees.

No comments: