Sunday, September 21, 2008

Too many greens!

Collard greens have come in down here. We bought a bundle of them at the Riverside Farmers Market yesterday. For those of you that are unfamiliar with collards in their natural state (Don't feel bad, I had to ask what they were. I've only ever bought them pre washed and chopped in a bag at Publix.) they are BIG. The bundle that I bought is as long as my arm from shoulder to fingertip and as thick around as one of my legs. And that was a small bundle, only two plants worth of stalks.

So we will be eating collards this week.

Today was classic collard greens, the ones most everyone thinks of. I chopped the stalks, leaves and all into 1-2 inch strips. Those went into my biggest pot, along with an onion, a ham hock and enough salted water to cover it. That was simmered until the greens were nice and tender. It made enough for dinner, along with porkchops and a quick beer bread recipe I've been dying to try, and there's enough for my lunch tomorrow as well.

Unfortunately, that used up only a quarter or so of what's in my fridge.

I'm looking at recipes now for caldo verde, a Portuguese soup of greens and mashed potatoes. I've also found recipes for stir fry.

Thank god we both like collards.

2 comments:

martyparty said...

Hey, please blog any other recipes you try that work out. I want my family to eat more greens, but we don't really like them cooked the classic way.

Maggie ~:) said...

oooh, let us know how the Portugese soup turns out! That sounds really interesting.