Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Caldo Verde

In a vain attempt to use up the collards taking over my fridge, I made caldo verde tonight. Caldo verde is a Portueguese soup that can use either kale or collard greens. It's pretty easy to make and I thought it was pretty tasty too.

Adapted from SoupSong.com

Onion
Garlic
Sliced potatoes
Hot italian sausage
Leftover potlikker from making collards earlier this week
As many collards as you can stand to eat

Alright, first up, brown the sausage in your big soup pot. I used link sausage, but I think bulk would work just fine. After it's cooked through, pull it out. Use that grease to lightly fry your potato slices. Add the potlikker and boil the potatoes until they are soft. Break them up or mash them with your kitchen tongs or spoon or whatever. Add the chopped garlic and onion. Add more water, to fill the pot. Add the collards, sliced thin, and bring to a boil. Cook until collards are tender. You'll probably want to salt the pot at some point. I have a bad habit of undersalting food when I cook.

This made a CRAZY amount of soup. We're both eating it for lunch tomorrow, and I think I'm bringing extra to work with me to share with co workers. This one lady there is always trying to feed me, so I'm going to return the favor. It's pretty tasty, most likely due to the potlikker used as the soup base. I'd make this again.

No comments: