Saturday, May 24, 2008

I say "taco", you say "taco"...

My youngest sister graduated yesterday. It was a nice, if overly long ceremony. She graduated with Honors and will be attending Oxford College at Emory University this fall. Yes, my baby sister is probably the smartest of all of us.

Anyways, a few relatives are in town for the festivities and the holiday weekend. My grandparents are here from Idaho and are staying with my aunt and uncle in Dahlonega. We did a graduation party at my parents last night and I'll be hosting a second one for her at my house tomorrow. None of the extended family has seen our house yet, so we've been frantically cleaning and completing all the minor repairs we've ignored for the last couple weeks.

Since I'm cooking for a small army tomorrow, I decided to go with my old stand by: Pulled Pork Tacos. We'll be doing some steak fajitas too, as we are totally in love with our outdoor grill. The menu for tomorrow is as follows:

Pulled Pork Tacos served on whole wheat tortillas with shredded lettuce, cheese, sour cream and tomatoes.
Steak fajitas with grilled onions and bell peppers
Yellow rice (from a mix)
Black beans
Garden Salad (Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers)
Fresh cut fruit

My mom and sisters will be making fresh salsa and gauc and bringing the chips.

Drinks will be sweet tea and margaritas on the rocks.

The tacos are one of my favorite things to cook for a large crowd. It's a very simple recipe with tons of great flavor.

One pork shoulder
One can of Ro-Tel (This is tomatoes and chiles together. They sell it next to the canned tomatoes)
One bottle of Corona (any light bodied beer will do in a pinch though)
Onions
Garlic
Lime juice
Cilantro

First, sear the shoulder on the stove. Don't worry about cooking it all the way through. You can't possibly. Just get it brown and crispy on all sides. Salt and pepper the meat as it's cooking. While that's going on, quarter your onions and peel your garlic. Throw it in your crockpot. Put the seared meat on top, then pour in the Ro-Tel and about half the beer. Lid it and let it cook on high for at least six hours. You want it to be fork tender.

Take the meat from pot (I save the stock for soups) and put it on a cookie sheet. It should be just falling apart right now. Shred it with a fork or by hand, then put it under the broiler for a few minutes. You want it to crisp up a bit. Then add chopped, fresh cilantro, lime juice and sea salt to taste. Mix it together and serve.

Like I said, it feeds a small army and it's very, very tasty. Also, it's very easy. The labor intensive part is shredding the meat, and that only takes a few minutes. I usually let it cool a few minutes and then just tear into it with my hands.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Dang, that was me. Wrong account.

Hmmm. That sounds tasty. I just wonder if that would be a little *too* much flavor for me. Is any of your family of the extremely bland tastebuds variety? Do they eat it?

Jennifer Liang said...

None of us like extremely spicy food, if that's what you mean. It's definitely not spicy. But there is lots of different flavors and textures going on. I've never met anyone that didn't like it.