Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Mexican Aisle

From blog


Recently, I've started to become acquainted with the section of my Publix that houses the Hispanic ingredients. The bit that I particularly like right now is the selection of Hispanic spices. They come packaged in clear plastic baggies, which isn't the greatest thing in the world for freshness, but if you only need a couple tablespoons of something, it can be just what you're looking for. The variety is pretty good, and many of them come whole, like star anise, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. I bought a little bag of pine nuts to make Lebanese stuffed eggplant this week. I only need a few tablespoons for the recipe. Why waste the money on a bottle?

And check out the difference on prices:

From blog


These are the sesame seeds I bought to top an Asian coleslaw a few months ago.

From blog


And these are the ones I didn't buy. Holy cow. What a difference. And sure, you get more with the bottle. But how often do I use sesame seeds? They'd go to waste. And I don't have to traipsing all over town to find a place that sells high quality spices. It's amazing what you can find in your neighborhood grocery store these days.

2 comments:

ShakespearesLady said...

Yes! I recently found this out as well. My boyfriend and I bought rosemary from the Hispanic aisle because it was so much cheaper than buying a bottle.

~Shannon

Phil said...

Great site ! I will keep looking at it for tips and reviews.