Friday, January 2, 2009

It's my wine in a box, yo

So we bought two Target "Wine Cubes" for New Year's Eve. That's the equal of eight bottles of wine. And wouldn't you know it, but no one did much drinking that night. I think I did the most, drinking most of the mulled wine on my own. So now I'm stuck with a considerable amount of wine. (And also beer, because my husband decided on his way home that what our party needed was a 12 pack of Budweiser, even though only one of our invited guests drinks that. And he got stuck on the way back from the airport with his wife and didn't make the party anyways. But that will be another posting.) I do cook with wine, but in moderation. My husband does not like the taste of white wine in his food, so I can't use more than a half glass or so of that at a time.

Now, I'm not a wine expert by any means. I drink what I like and what I can afford. Usually, that means I'm shopping at Trader Joe's, which has a nice selection that overs over quickly at a price that means I can enjoy a glass of wine with dinner more than occasionally.

The Chardonnay I am drinking right now, for example, is fairly good. Not great, but I don't think I've had a great Chardonnay. But it's light and refreshing and citrusy just like a good Chard should be. I would buy this wine again or serve it to family without being embarrassed. I recall the Shiraz I used for the mulled wine to be good as well, but since I adulterated it so much, I can't say fairly until I have a glass of it alone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My stepdad is the wine connoisseur of the family. And he said that the Target boxed wines are supposed to be really decent wines. They're not award winning, but he said that some boxed wines have even been rated in the 80s by Wine Enthusiast standards. Plus boxed wines stay fresh for a loooong time due to the vacuum packaging, so once you open one, if it takes you several weeks to drink it, it's ok.