Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Relish

I don't know why, but my favorite restaurants are the ones I never seem to get around to reviewing. So since I haven't done one in awhile, and one of my students mentioned it the other day, I thought I'd talk about Relish.

Relish is another offering from Andy Badgett, the chef/ owner of my hands down favorite resturant in Roswell, The Fickle Pickle. While Relish is the "nicer" of the two, I still prefer Fickle Pickle. Anyways. Relish specializes in modern twists on southern staples. The location is prime, right in the middle of the Roswell Historic district. I often find myself there when I've planned an evening at a nearby attraction, like the Roswell Ghost Tour, or Bard in the Yard at Barrington Hall.

While there's no real standout on the dinner menu, I do find myself enjoying the spicy shrimp and grits. I am not usually a fan of grits, but theses are creamy and full of flavor from the tasso ham gravy. The bacon wrapped trout is a bit salty for my taste, but the sweet potato hash it comes with is excellent. I usually find myself ordering the roasted chicken or the hanger steak. The macaroni and cheese side is creamy and cheesy and decadent.

With no real star on the dinner menu, I find myself coming back for the peripherals. A starter of pimento cheese fritters served with jalapeƱo jelly is worth coming back for. Hot, gooey pimento cheese is breaded and deep fried. I think this is probably what cemented my love affair with pimento cheese. The dessert menu offers a bread pudding made from Krispy Kreme donuts. My hands down favorite, though is the cucumber lemonade drink. I like mine spiked with a little bit of Jack, but it's just fine without. It's a wonderful, cooling drink on a hot summer day.

Come to think of it, that's probably why I haven't been back. It's been a bit too chilly lately to sit on the front porch of this converted funeral parlor, sipping lemonade and enjoying the views of the gorgeous Barrington Hall across the street. So while this is a flawed restaurant in many ways, I always find a reason to be in the neighborhood and make my way here.

Relish on Urbanspoon

No comments: