Saturday, April 26, 2008

So close, and yet...

I have a hard time deciding what to write about here sometimes. I mean, I eat every day. Sometimes more than once. Do I blog each meal? Every recipe? Every restaurant? I finally planted my modest kitchen garden last weekend and we bought an outdoor grill. I want to talk about that. I also want to talk about my first time eating fried green tomatoes this week and the beautiful hummus I made with my International Studies class this week. Too many topics and not enough time right now.

Anyways.

For about a year now, I've been interested in subscribing to a Community Supported Agriculture box. This is a service you subscibe to from a local farmer's market or local farm. You get a box and they fill it with an assortment of what ever's been recently harvested. It's sort of a grab bag. You get whatever they've grown regardless of whether or not you want it. But it seems like a nice way of supporting local growers, and I've been wanting to try it.

Well, I finally had some luck today and stumbled across LocalHarvest.org, a site that maintains a database of farmer's markets, organic farmers and CSA's. A quick search reveals that my nearest CSA distributor is the Spruill Green Market in Dunwoody. With good traffic, Dunwoody is only a few minutes away from us. However, the box can only be picked up on Wednesdays between the hours of 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM. That's right in the middle of the work day for me and my husband. Well, not for me in the summers, but we only have the one car and my husband takes it.

I understand why the hours are limited like this. Staff is a finite resource as is space. They can't have boxes of produce sitting around until when ever I feel like picking them up. However, I am annoyed that the hours they chose are so inconvenient to working people. On the website, it lists a "south Atlanta" pickup point down in Zebulon (Yes, I'm blinking at that too. There's no way Zebulon is part of metro Atlanta. It's the middle of nowhere.) that has pickup hours from 4-6 PM as well as morning hours the next day.

Sigh. Oh well.

No comments: